Saturday, June 11, 2005

In The Army



Here's a pic of me and my section mates together with Sgt Chin during field camp. In some ways it was what I expected - no bathing, the punishments and learning what it was to be a soldier I guess. Looking back at the photos, we had fun and bonded quite well together. Even though we don't really meet up nowadays, looking at all the faces now brings back tonnes of memories and the feeling of a unique friendship we forged while going through the exhausting route marches and constantly having to change the position of our basha.

I honestly don't think I'll have a chance to do something like that again, because even in my current course, there's very little chance of outfield. Also, Tekong is a rather beautiful island (the irony!) and some things that are experienced there cannot be done elsewhere.

I can't be doing 'outrageous' stuff such as going outfield for 7 days in a row in the future so I can only look back and cherish the memories of the things that happened before. Haha...

Becoming a soldier from a civilian is not easy. I believe people still think of me as the same person before I went to NS, so I guess they can't imagine me holding an M16, doing pumping or marching for that matter. Every week I still yearn to book out badly and do my own stuff. However, now I hardly think of escaping from NS, because there's no way for me to do so. Questions like 'Why am I here?' pop up less frequently in my brain.

Great the memories may be, priceless the chance to hold a rifle is, but I can't help looking forward to the end.

ORD.

No comments: