Thursday, February 15, 2007

Funny, In The Rich Man's World

I'm surrounded by materialistic wants and even though I know life's not all about that I can't help but indulge in them. My pay's coming in today - I've waited 1.5 months for it! Today I can finally set aside money to give my parents and pay Colin for the Jolin Tsai tickets. I don't know if I'll have enough money left to spend for the rest of the month though. But I really don't care. After working relatively hard (at the very least I've to be standing to convert every minute into 10 cents) I finally get to see the hours on my time sheet become dollars in my bank account. It's all a game of numbers.

And unlike people who like to see big numbers in their bank accounts, I like to leave it with a 0 at the end of the month.

As I've tagged before on Mak's blog, "LOL - come on man, seriously. deep down, you ENJOY shopping. the fruits of ur labour... converting money to tangible stuff that you can enjoy. shiok."

I've got a lot of activities lined up in the next two weeks, guaranteed to use up at least half of what I've earned in the month. Tomorrow I'll be going to Sentosa (no, don't gasp, "Again?!") with Sidney, watching The Protege with Zhenhui and Shuming, breakfast with Ryan on Saturday, meet Mak on Thursday, TWJ's birthday on Friday and Chris' going-away party on Saturday.

I can't possibly start turning everyone down, can I? Which is why I once told someone that I've got enough on my hands, and I won't forge a friendship I can't live up to.

And I've probably already let down everyone on that list more than they deserve.

That's sidetracking a bit, but tonight, after work (9PM), I'll be meeting my army friends for a bit of retail therapy before going home. I'm blessed that they're always around.

Which actually means spending more money, and getting into the CNY spirit where everything has to be new is just a fucking great excuse to blow my pay away on things that I've always wanted but don't need.

Don't get me wrong, saving is a virtue and I've got plenty of things to save up for (not a new pair of Levi's dammit, Uni stuff!). But it's tough to slog without seeing any rewards in sight. Or so far away.

I suppose it's all about striking a balance, but I'm having a hard time finding it.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 comments:

weetzdom tooth said...

i think all of us at different stages of our lives go thru what you are going thru. i still find myself, as a working adult earning for more than 10 years, absolutely broke at the end of some months.

i used to have two bank accounts. once my pay comes in, i will straight away put some in this untouchable account. then the rest, i will spend til zero. like a forced-savings account.

not sure if it works for you. it did not work for me hahahahaa... :P

jason kyh said...

well, I was thinking of doing that! It's like locking the money and throwing away the keys. It doesn't work? Damn, I'll have to find alternatives then! =P

weetzdom tooth said...

hahaha.. it did not work beacuse i did not throw away the key.. the atm card is always there.. so when account A dries up, i transfer from acc B.

i know. very lame.