Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Anticipating

I had a rather weird thought when I first saw the NTU letter on the table at 6AM in the morning last Thursday. "Woah! This is it! My parents will never be able to ask me to study harder to get into Uni any more!". It doesn't mean that they won't nag though. They're already changing it to, "Study hard else you won't be able to graduate!". It never ends.

Anyway, I was delighted to receive the thing, but it just meant that I had some personal admin stuff to do. Till now all I've done is to read the "Admissions Handbook for Freshmen". I didn't understand everything, but it certainly made me aware that there's going to be a lot to pay for when I enter! Also, the fact that I've received the package made the fact that I'm going to NTU in 1.5 months seem more real. It's finally happening! And I don't even feel ready for it yet. I don't feel ready to be sociable and meet new people. I don't feel ready to move out of my house and to the hall. I don't feel ready to study. It's freaky.

I had a discussion with a group of friends awhile ago about first impressions. Human beings are weird. We all know that it isn't accurate to judge by first impressions but we do it all the time. And so our discussion revolved around what kind of person would you want to be seen at. My friend said that he'd try out the geek chic look - get a pair of cool specs, act shy a little, try to hook some girls with it, and then drop the pretense to present himself as tanned knight in shining armour. Okay, that wasn't exactly what he said, but you get the idea! In the end it didn't really work and he was cool just being himself.

Oh, then there are the camps to join. I can't make up my mind, but I'm sure I'll get around to joining one of them. It's kind of confusing when there are so many choices, but I've narrowed it down to the Union Orientation Camp (22nd - 28th July), NTU Sports Camp (23rd - 29th July) and Freshmen Overseas Orientation Trip (16th - 21th July). Currently I'm kind of leaning towards FOOT but due to the dates clashing with my office work, tuition and happening 2 days after my Taiwan trip, I'm still considering.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: