Sunday, June 10, 2007

Soundaholic Presents...

01

Hilary Duff - Stranger
It's amazing and I never thought that I'd say this but I think Hilary Duff (or Fluff as I like to call her) is finally making good pop music. I used to hate her a lot (but then I used to hate Britney way back during the BOMT years). I mean, who the fuck actually thinks Why Not, So Yesterday, Come Clean and Wake Up are actually good songs? I think she's doing a pretty good job picking up where Britney left off. Okay, so she's not exactly there yet and I don't think Stranger is anywhere near the standards of Toxic, but when there isn't anything better on the airwaves and this is the best there is, I'll take it! With Love was funky enough (to reach US Dance #1) with its cool futuristic beeping all over the place while Stranger has a minute bit of Indian influence. It's got a great catchy melody and I guess that's all that matters. If the third single is anywhere near this good, I think I need to get the album.

I deserve to get shot for saying that.

01

Enrique Iglesias - Do You Know? (The Ping Pong Song)
Would you go for longevity or being the hottest stuff for the moment? That is essentially the difference between Ricky Martin and Enrique Iglesias. The 2005 comeback by Ricky Martin only managed a dismal #65 on the Billboard Hot 100 while the latest offering by Enrique, Do You Know (Ping Pong Song) is currently at #33. The Ping Pong part of the song is stinks of cheap gimmick, but his voice more than makes up for it. Yes, I miss the voice that gave us Bailamos, Rhythm Divine, and fine, Hero (for all you romantic nuts out there). I don't know what's all the fuss about his dick size though. There were reports saying that he was unsatisfied with it because it's too small, and then recently he's been quoted to say that it's big.

Damn Enrique, I understand. It never stays the same length all the time, does it?

01

Timbaland ft Keri - The Way I Are
I love Timbaland and all the shizzle that he's produce, but when he makes an album all about himself, it becomes a bit of an overkill. However it's saved by some gems such as the second single after Give It To Me - The Way I Are. The beats are smokin' and rhymes are flowin'! His heavily vocoderised voice contrasts with Keri's smooth pipes to make magic happen. I was thinking real hard whether to feature this song, but I've got a sneaky feeling that it could probably blow up all over the charts after the success of P.Diddy's Last Night. "Baby if you strip, you could get a tip, cos I like you just the way you are..."

01

The Cranberries - Promises
Okay, and then there's the song that I've got to recommend from the past. I know I pick songs up real randomly, but this one's one of my favourites from the Cranberries. Promises packs enough punch to come close to being as hardcore as Zombie, yet starts off soothingly as if it were Animal Instict. The track was the lead single off their 1999 album, Bury The Hatchet. Every second of the song is delicious, from the haunting verses to the intense chorus. I love singing along to the yodelling. Wow. Take a listen here.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: