Sunday, June 24, 2007

Soundaholic Presents...

Before I start anything, I'd like to wish my buddy Jian Hong a very happy 21st Birthday! Okay, on the the music.

01

Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry
"I hope you know, I hope you know... That this has nothing to do with you." Fergie has got one of the most recognisable voices in pop music right now. Her face is kind of iconic too, but I've always thought that she looked a little tranny (I'm not trying to insult her because I think she's fab) but her recent video Big Girls Don't Cry completely changed my opinion. She looks great (whoa, that ass!) and very natural in it. Naturally the song has secured a Top 5 placing on the Billboard Hot 100, making it her 4th Top 5 single from her superb debut The Dutchess. She's certainly one of the most consistent artists with solid singles to churn out. Now if she'd only release Clumsy as the next single, it'll be another easy Top 5 for sure!

01

Lil Mama - Lip Gloss
I have never seen a rapper with moves this cool so it was with great surprise when I got to see Lil Mama in her debut video, Lip Gloss. The song has been causing waves for quite some time but I've been trying very hard to resist its appeal, always thinking that her success is nothing but hype. But Jive has an amazing way of getting its artists out (Nsync, Britney). The track is very catchy, with a thumping bass and a loveable chours. She's only 17! Her video's got references to pop great Britney as she dances in the school coridoor and then there's a line with "Upgrade U", lifted from a Beyonce song. She's certainly a talent to look out for - in fact Avril liked her rapping on the Girlfriend instrumental so much she invited her to do a remix of it! It's crazy!

01

Rihanna - Shut Up And Drive
When I get started on the ladies of pop, I can't stop! The first Soundaholic entry featured Kelly Rowland, Kelly Clarkson and Gwen Stefani. This week we have Fergie, Lil Mama and Rihanna. Rihanna will find it almost impossible to top Umbrella, but she's giving it a try with her second single Shut Up And Drive. You get a feeling that she's not really talking about a vehicle here. I suppose it's more along the lines of "riding an English mare" that the French King said to the English King while referring to some minister's daughter in Tudors. Oops, it's a little out of point, but with lyrics like, "I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine", "My engine's ready to explode" and "You look like you can handle whats under my hood", you just can't help but think dirrty. The video is terribly bland and predictable. Anyway it seems that she's going for momentum on this album because there are songs way better than this one that deserve to be released such as the stellar Breakin' Dishes (her management should be shot if it doesn't), Don't Stop the Music and Lemme Get That.

01

Madonna - Frozen
I don't know why I'm introducing a song that needs no introduction but this song brings back a fond memory. I was about to call in to Power 98 to make my first request ever and was shaking nervously. Rod picked up the phone and I asked for this song, Frozen by Madonna. At that point of time I had just started listening to radio and she was already on to her second single, Ray of Light. It was 1998 and I heard on the chart countdown that the previous single, Frozen, was amazing, and there was no other way for me to hear it other than a) buy the CD (I was a poor P6 boy) b) request on radio. There wasn't piracy by means of the internet then! It's a good 9 years ago but the song still sounds as brilliant and as fresh as ever. IMO, it's one of her best singles ever, and even her costume was memorable and iconic. There's a hopeless MADTV parody of the video you might wanna check out here.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: