Saturday, August 04, 2007

Hall 12 FOC

FOC was a blast. I know how everyone says that you've to go for at least one camp in Uni so that you'd get to know people and all that. Well, the camp allowed me to meet a lot of new people and get acquainted with hall culture. On top of that I learnt even more about interacting with people. I had plenty of opportunities to express myself and I also discovered more about myself after all that we were put through, so I guess it's a very fulfilling camp.

We went through all the stuff that was rather typical of all camps. There was a day for a walk around school in the form of a race, the Initiation, Sentosa, pool games, Junior vs Senior, SP night, fright night and everything else! The initiation was kind of tough, physically, so the relief that I felt when it ended was incredible. I did enjoy most of the stations, it's just that the fact that it was carried out after midnight and we were freezing and wet and blindfolded for 5 hours was just awful! But the worst physical torture for me was on the last day where we had to squeeze as many people as we could into a shower cubicle, and I happened to be the one right at the back, being pushed up against the protruding ceramic soap container, pressured on the chest and left with hardly any space for me to breathe. I felt like throwing up after that!

The people, the people, the people... I think the people were great, and I felt really comfortable talking to most of them. It's kind of crazy how all the games that we played caused us to click really well, even more so if they were competitive. I guess being united with a common purpose really makes people come closer together. At the same time it gives a chance for people to show what they're good at. I enjoyed Sentosa because of the volleyball segment, where I got a couple of serves over, and was impressed by how skilled Kelvin and Xuan were. I think I've found vball-mateys! Hahaha! Actually I enjoyed the rest of the games as well, despite being someone who's not really sports inclined! I suppose it's more of the teamwork and the fun that we had while playing.

There were a lot of moments where my alter-ego (makes me sound like I have a split personality) made his presence felt. It's kind of weird to talk about myself in third person since I'm not Yoda but I'll give it a shot. Ying Heng's the quiet, guai guy, and that's me most of time. Jason is the crazier guy who, talks crap to his seniors when blindfolded, sang Everytime in front of the James Bond girls, channelled Britney Spears when pushed into the centre of dancing freshies, and said yes to joining the hall pageant.

Again, I wish I had been a bit more of an extrovert and took more initiative instead of being reactive to situations. However, I think I did rather decently for this orientation. I've had people coming up to me and saying nice things about how I look, my singing and dancing, which, despite my appreciation, I take with a pinch of salt. I'm flattered by the attention and compliments, but I'm not going to let myself get caught up in it. I'm glad I have people who are supportive and at the same time they keep me grounded, especially by noticing (and telling me) how ugly my teeth look.

Okay, so now everyone'll be staring at my teeth!

Haha... I guess FOC is just the beginning of life in Hall. I can't wait to take part in all the activities in a new environment with new friends.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey hey cool post there! brings back lots of memories!

U ll always be the hall king in my heart!! lets play volleyball when u are free k! See u in hall 12~!