Monday, July 14, 2008

Ravioli-oli-oli

Ahh yes, I know everyone's dying to hear about my FOC experience. It's that feeling that there's so much to say, but then again not everything can be said here. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way but it's almost impossible to encompass that entire experience in a few thousand words on the blog. You've got to be there to feel it. I won't talk about the entire thing in chronological, or maybe I will later on but I think I'll just rant.

It's my first time being an OGL. Some of my freshies probably have more experience leading a group in camp than me. It freaked me out seeing them all for the first time - all the faces I've to familiarise myself with, all the names I've got to remember. Initially I was even a little embarrassed to be standing in front of such a huge group of people and have them staring up expectedly for me to do or say something. However after looking at the comments that the freshies have left me, I think I did a decent job. They were very kind with their words for me of course but some of things that stood out were the fact that I was a "good actor", the "British accent" I used during initiation (cos I was losing my voice) and that the seniors put in a lot of effort for this camp. Blood, literally. I think I was successful in getting the OG to bond. I took care of them decently well and nobody was missing, injured, or lost anything during the camp, so that was fantastic.

I know my biggest flaw though. During the camp I was more of this "figure" to the OG. The one who cheered damn loud, struts around and give a not-so-friendly face to other OGs, giving a qian bian face when we win, standing in front of the OG's sandcastle during Battlefield ready to screw anyone who was going to use anything bigger than a water bomb, not being smiley-smiley (which is so not me cos I'm usually that!), entertaining the OG with Britney's Gimme More poledance while waiting for the bus on the Amazing Race... And my biggest flaw was that I hardly talked to any of them on a personal level.

I managed to chat with a few of them while we were going to place to place or go to their rooms for a chat but for most part I left them to interact among themselves. It was either I was too damn tired or that I was playing my "role". I know, lame excuses... I'll brush up on that for my next camp. For now though I'm just thankful that the OG on the whole was receptive to my personality, effort and the fact that they had fun throughout those 5 days.

My OG... Haha... I don't even know how to start describing them! They are a crazy bunch of people. Outstandingly crazy. From the bottom of my heart I think they are crazy when it comes to cheering. Fantastically loud. They were entertaining too, although it took them a bit of warming up and getting to know each other. But they were friendly which is fantastic. I don't see myself as friendly but they made up for that by being friendly amongst themselves and to me for which I feel blessed already. Thank you all for bothering to talk to me while we're walking... I'm so shy. Tsk.

There were some outrageous moments that the OG really came together and I liked it a lot. There was Project Runaway, where Zed wore the zeBRA. I haven't laughed that much in like, forever. Then there was initiation where they started singing along the way. They were literally on autopilot mode. Me and Vanessa were very impressed.

They sang stuff everyone knew, like BSB's I Want It That Way. Two days later they changed the lyrics of the front lines to "You are my Jason, the one Vanessa". I laughed at how ridiculous and nonsensical it was but was damn touched when they all sang it loudly, with teamspirit and pride. It blew my mind. Okay my brains got blown out of my skull again when they did it during Starry Starry Night. Freaking overwhelming.

As I said I didn't interact with every single one of them but I appreciate their presence in the OG because all of them really made a difference in one way or another. It wouldn't have been the same without any one of them. Of course every OG has people who stand out more than the rest. Seniors are humans too and of course there are some that we feel more attached to than others but I think the most important thing for the freshies is to feel a sense of attachment to each other. And in a way all the seniors who're with Ravioli feel the same way too and we'll be working hard to help them all maintain the bond, probably meeting up somewhere this week or next to share the Hagan Daaz vouchers... ooooh...

Oh yeah and there was once... I've just got to mention this! We were waiting for the start of the telematch for our NTU games. We got a chill-out corner where they were sitting around and had nothing to do. Then I remembered one of my favourite games ever - the one where you linked up your hands and try to disentangle yourself. The OG was split into two groups and then they started playing. They were an enthusiastic bunch alright, but after an entire day of games, they were starting to get a little weary. So. I. Just. Babbled. And. Said. ThatI'llgivethewinningteam... BenandJerry's.

The reaction was instantaneous and Mel and Ros were like so helpful in fanning the flames. The seniors tried doing themselves in a bid to be eligible for the little prize. It was so cool how that motivation became like a shot of drugs and they were all moving super quickly that it was actually exciting to see them finish. Anyway, I wanted to surprise them with it during Sentosa but I didn't have time to go. Luckily during Starry Starry Night Titus and V Paul did me the favour of going down to The Sun to get it. They all looked really satisfied stuffing themselves with ice cream even though they'd just finished the buffet! They had a sugar high after that I believe, because then they started going bananas while cheering and really put all their energy into the performance of the skit.

I guess it was great closure for the bet, and everything else that we've promised them this camp - friends, a good time, and the first of many memorable moments of their time in WKWSCI.

01

No comments: