Saturday, March 18, 2006

IPPT Silver - Finally!

It's been a short, 4-day week in camp, yet I couldn't wait to book out. It felt horribly long. Argh! I can't imagine how I'm going to survive the 6-day week starting tomorrow, when I'll be booking in for standby. Gosh.

On Wednesday we had IPPT and I finally managed to get a silver. I think I improved my running a little bit. In fact, I think the entire platoon did much better this week than the last. I suppose I do need to exercise more. During jeep course all I've been doing is eating and sleeping. Not exactly just that but you get the idea. Lazing around. What stopped me from getting silver last week was the bloody SBJ, which by some luck and visualising that I could actually hit silver this week, I managed to do it. So did quite a lot of other people, so after IPPT, all of us were rather happy and satisfied at our results.

It was on that day that I was feeling happy and all that they told me I had to go for night SUV driving. It's a known fact that I feel fear strike my heart whenever I hear that I need to drive. I'm nervous about driving. The worst thing was that nights off was going to be early, in fact, 1530, and I had to be back in camp by 1800. I was kind of demoralised at not booking out with the rest of them, and furthermore by the fact that I was going to drive. However, in the end Zhicong and Kenneth also had to stay back for the training, along with me and Samuel. To think I was still being 'cocky' and told Samuel that I'd buy stuff for him from outside because he had to stay back for standby. We had katsu mee from the canteen, which fab as usual. Anyway, the night driving was a mere 30 minutes (and that burnt my 6 hours of freedom) and I gained confidence of driving from then.

The next day I had SUV assessment. I thought I drove okay, although there were a few mistakes here and there I was nowhere close to killing anybody or crashing into the curb. Well, maybe because for half the time we were at quiet, long stretches of road. Okay. I did something shitty by turning to left to Jalan Kayu instead of right to camp. The assessor said switch off the LEFT signal and turn right. Me, being slightly nervous and tired at my second round of driving already only heard the word LEFT, and so I went to the wrong direction and ended up being LOST for awhile, sweating in desperation in the air-con SUV before the assessor decided to direct me back to camp.

That day I also went to the ops room for the first time and Terence slept over there. Arh, it's going to be my turn soon I think!

And believe it or not, I had familiarisation training for Minibus the very next day. I was no longer nervous about getting into a vehicle any more, although I wouldn't say that my driving has improved tremendously or anything like that, it's just that I don't fear it that much already. Had a good chat with Samuel about platoon stuff etc. etc. and Kenneth about celebrities and all. Had a good lunch at the canteen there and quite enjoyed myself hanging out there talking cock. When we went back, we realised that the company was booking out rather late and stoned together with them for an additional 2 hours. That includes playing Chinese chess (and losing) to Daniel and witnessing Jeff and Bryan fight over the CD-player, much to the amusement of our bunk. That's a good thing. But I suppose it was due to us all becoming insane. I don't understand why we couldn't book out early if there wasn't anything to already.

Right, that's about it for this week, hopefully I'll get a good nights off this coming Wednesday!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: