Sunday, September 06, 2009

District 9

District 9 was intense from start to finish. I do not understand why it's only showing at Cathay but you have to fucking watch it. Now. Do not wait. No such thing as downloading, streaming or waiting for the DVD.

It is the best movie I've watched all year.

I was on the edge of my seat (and my friend's) all the way and my heart just went out to whichever character was being bullied which was different at any one time. It's the reality of nature if you would have it. Sometimes there is no justice and the strongest survives. But still because we believe in humanity we believe in doing the right thing.

Which makes those scenes even harder to swallow. Money and power hungry people. Fear of the unknown. Rejection. Discrimination. Intrusion.

The one scene that really hit me was the guy trying to chop off his own arm after it turned alien. It was amazing physicalisation of a very common internal struggle.

Have you ever hated a part of yourself so much that your self-worth depended on its removal?

01

No comments: