Monday, March 26, 2007

Ni Guang

Being the crazy fan of Sun Yan Zi as he is, Ryan acquired her CD on the day it was released in Singapore. And I must say I had some very slight doubts about our listening party, because I like Sun Yan Zi edgy, noisy, and different - Dong Shi, Lu Guang, Zhi Lai Zhi Wang, Man Man Lai, Di Yi Tian and Shen Qi are the few misfits that I can name off the top of my head. They stand out amongst her vast repertoire of ballads and represent a fun side of her that's not well represented by her songs.

Thus, after dinner, we made our way to the library at the Esplanade and with the backdrop of the dazzling hotel "The Oriental" behind us, we popped in the CD and had our first listen of the entire album.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We discussed lyrics and gave individual songs marks. Most of the time though, it was silent other than for the music that was coming out of the earphones. It's a freaking library afterall!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A couple of songs caught my attention, despite being ballads, which I usually fall asleep to. I like something dramatic and complicated; basically songs that require technique and are dark. Which is why it repulses me reminded of the fact that songs like Lao Shu Ai Da Mi and Tong Hua made it big. My Top 5 from the album are Ni Guang, Xu Yao Ni, Wo Huai Nian De, Piao Zhe and Gu Ji Gu Ji, which turned out to be another outstanding misfit.

I like them so much I've been listening to them everyday before going to work.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And so after you've seen Ryan's version of against the light, this is mine! Haha...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 comments:

weetzdom tooth said...

so interesting.. sharing the debut of a CD together - a listening party haha.

weetzdom tooth said...

and were you wearing the same thin you wore to cut hair in JB? hahaha

jason kyh said...

It happened on the same day!!