Friday, March 30, 2007

3

It's amazing how, in the space of a day, I came into contact with 3 of my best friends. We bonded very well in the institutions that we went to, and how much things have changed since then!

I went out with one of them for lunch at Raffles Place just before going to work. He always manages to tick me off by being later than me no matter how late I am, but that being the norm, has allowed me to get so used to it that after a mere 30 seconds I'm able to let it pass! Having lunch almost weekly is part of our effort to stay in touch. Of course we're planning something crazy - something along the lines of night cycling - but we're pretty sane in general. We looked around at some of the Fossil bags that were on display at their roadshow before having some juice at Boost. It was a great deal because he still had one-for-one coupons! I'm grateful for his company because although it certainly isn't as exciting as meeting once in a long time, the frequency makes sure we don't miss out on what's going on in each others' lives.

I was supposed to meet with this other friend who is leaving for Australia tomorrow for 10 months. We were supposed to meet after I finished work. However he SMS-ed to tell me that he was caught up by something and would only be able to meet me at 1130. I was relieved that I could squeeze time out for a shower and a short rest before meeting him. I popped in the DVD of the OC to entertain myself till it was about time to leave the house. Halfway through though, he called and told me that he couldn't make it. He was speaking in hushed tones and I couldn't really make out what he was saying but the gist was that he couldn't make it. I pretended that I wasn't bothered but my mind was thinking otherwise.

I'm the kind of guy who's selfish and afraid of rejection, especially when it comes to requesting for others' company. People ask me out, and I accept or decline. It has always been the case. I would rarely put myself up for rejection. I was still in disbelief as I wondered what to do with the DVD I bought during my lunch break which was supposed to double as a birthday cum going-away present.

Shortly after the show ended, I received a call from another friend, whom I haven't been in touch with. The frequency that we meet up is terribly erratic. Since we've graduated from which was about 5 years ago, there were a couple of years I didn't hear from him and all, and other times when we would go out in a group. He asked if he was being a bastard by calling when he needed someone to talk to, to which I replied that he wasn't, and I haven't gotten in touch with him either. The most ironic thing was that he felt I was the one who knws him best when all those years ago I actually took offense when he said no one understood him.

We talked about the usual kind of stuff - girls, money, job, future plans - all very briefly for about 30 minutes, and ended the conversation with promises to meet up soon for a real chat.

It's funny how people who were close once managed to make such a huge impact on a simple day, and how different they each turned out from the seeds of friendship.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: