Thursday, March 01, 2007

Focus

I haven't been able to write anything interesting because I haven't gotten my focus right. Sometimes I sit down and I feel like jotting down some of my thoughts, but I've got absolutely no inspiration. When inspiration strikes, it's a very magical moment. Even during exams, I can spend half the time day dreaming till I get hit by that elusively exclusive idea and the other half rushing out the essay. More often than not, the moment when I put a full stop to the last sentence of the last paragraph, the invigilator announces that it's time to put the pen down.

I have no idea if it's due to me being tired most of the time or the monotony of life taking its toll on me. Either way, I don't feel inspired to write anything these days! Most of the things that I'm doing have been talked about. Most of those that I haven't mentioned aren't worth the time to do so.

If I have to be forced to talk about something though, I'd like to complain. How very Singaporean of me.

First of all, there's this line on the advertisement for Sony camera pouches which read, "No unsightly scratches. No unwanted damages. Just desired safety." I don't mean to insult the retard who wrote it, but what kind of damages can be described as "wanted"? Logically speaking, you can have scratches which are unnoticeable, and you can have scratches which are big and unsightly. Fine. But are there damages that are "wanted"? Including the word just for the sake of it doesn't make it sound professional nor poetic, it just sounds retarded. And it irks me to see such rubbish being printed on a huge, expensive-looking poster.

They could've paid me and I'd have come up with something better!

As terrible as it is, most of Sony's adverts are written in that tone of voice and resort to using equally cringe-worthy choice of words. I just need to gather more proof. I'm bringing that SDW course booklet home tomorrow.

People who come from countries with high population densities are usually (but not always) vulgar. I've been convince myself that it's not right to judge people from where they come from. It's only fair to approach customers without any preconceived notions and deal with who they are, and not their nationality. However that's all a bunch of bullshit and if you come into contact with enough of them you'll realise that they fit into that mould and it becomes only natural to categorise them as such.

Just like the fact that Indonesian Chinese, who almost always go for the most expensive SZ VAIO, are easy-going and polite.

This has got to be my bitchiest entry to date.

In the meantime, the titles of the library books I've borrowed today quite accrately reflects on what I've been pondering about.

1. Personal Finances for Dummies
2. Absolutely Perfect Plan for a Flatter Stomache (you're allowed to laugh if you have a 6-pack)
3. Toxin by Robin Cook
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

2 comments:

weetzdom tooth said...

hahaha... "countries with high population densities"... clever.

and you are absolutely right, so many bad copywriters around, and they are paid so much to write nonsense for expensive campaigns.

i always thought it should be "uniquely singaporean" or "unique singapore". it always bugs me that 'singapore' becomes an adjective in the way they have used it. like, "this fish ball very singapore meh?"

jason kyh said...

So have I used to wrongly in this instance?

As for those countries... it's true! It's those two!