Friday, May 30, 2008

Mr Tan

Mr Tan has been a rather tough character. It's precisely because he's ordinary and familiar, that he becomes difficult to portray. He's recognised by everybody. He's a person that everyone has some kind of impression of.

I think I'm slowly doing him justice. It was tough at the beginning and it still is tough. I was confused and it showed. I thought he'd be more reserved though and I was totally wrong! I find it a bit difficult to get into character at the front but the lines at the back really shows that he's someone who's amusingly honest, which is really fun to play. I don't know if it's the Singlish, or the fact that he's probably about twice my age. It's going to take some time and a whole lot of effort, but I guess there's plenty of both still. There's still a chance to do him justice.

I enjoy rehearsal although we almost always get off to a slow start. Everyone's been very helpful and throwing me advice left, right and center. It's a bit overwhelming for a first-timer like me and there are times when I'm not in the zone. Or at least not the right one! Haha...

The performance is slightly more than a month away and the play's title is still not confirmed. Interestingly enough, it's due to the inability to capture the play's essence in a couple words. As with any title, the purpsoe is to evoke curiosity yet not give everything away. The script, on the other hand, is getting tighter and tigher. It does make one nervous that still in the works, but the fact that Hadri and Mike and probably a couple of people behind the scenes are still working on it tirelessly shows their commitment to the project. And the lines are indeed getting better.

It's my biggest project thus far, but I've still got tonnes to do this holiday, including this new job that's not as good as I thought it would be. Oh well, win some, lose some.

01

No comments: