Thursday, May 07, 2009

The Injured Foot

"You wanna go next?"

"Ok."

I gained momentum, knowing that it'd take close to my maximum speed to conquer that ridiculously steep slope. So I pedalled madly and the bicycle went up easily. The wall came nearer and with all my might I forced myself not to turn sharply as I would only fall off the bike. With that my left foot banged into the wall and I came to a sudden halt.

I in shock as I saw blood filling the gaps between my toes. The pain was slow and throbbing. I felt that I had it in control. Taking deep breaths, I went down the other side without my bicycle.

When I lifted my foot out of my slipper, three-quarters of it was bloody. With help from Ness, Ros and Melvin, the wound got cleaned. I felt kind of light headed. They told me later that I looked pale. The pain was not sharp but persistent. I laid down on the stone table and the three of them bandaged it up and offered me water. I might have been somewhat delirious, moaning and yelping in pain. They did first aid on me unflinchingly (despite a not-very-helpful comment about the smell) and did not make much of a fuss, except that I should probably visit a doctor.

The force was strong enough such that it bent the pedal inwards and that required a lot of knocking to fix. There were friction marks on the side of my slipper which came into contact with the wall.

Despite all that, their strength gave me strength to cycle all the way back to East Coast.

Thinking back it was weird how they managed to give me show right amount of concern without treating me like a baby. I really appreciated that.

Qiqi met us after that and brough reinforcements with her. Must say that I felt much better about everything after that.

I've been hobbling around for the past couple of days, visited a useless doctor and applied stuff on it. It's getting better although the swelling's yet to gone done completely. It was only till today that the pain subsided considerably.

Admittedly it was a silly stunt. I would never have done it. But I did it because of this childish, unfulfilled need to do things on impulse. To be reckless. All I've ever done was be obedient, following the rules, not daring to take chances and doubting my ability. In that sense all I wanted to do was conquer a bridge. I can't say I've regretted it but it was just why I did it.

Just like the guy who cycled proudly past us with no hands, I wouldn't know if I didn't try.

01

No comments: