Sunday, September 04, 2005

Happy Belated Birthday Fukang!

Yesterday Sequeena, Si Hua and I met up with Fukang to celebrate his birthday! Haha, it's kind of amazing because the 4 of us haven't met up together for 3 years. Seperately yes, altogether no. When we met it was like we were back to old times again. Anyway, we went to have lunch somewhere at Chinatown. There was the most amazing bak kut teh.

Before that we ordered sugar cane juice, which tasted refreshing in the pretty hot weather. Sequeena showed us a magic trick involving a ten-dollar note and chopsticks. After that there was some card tricks too. I think I learned a lot of stuff from there. Hmm, eating at a hawker center together feels special and different. It's as if we're more than old friends; it's kind of like family. Haha...

We're all turning 19 this year and known each other for 5 years already! Time really flies. We paid for the meal as a treat for Fukang. It isn't very expensive, but it's the meaning behind it that counts. The four of us aren't rich in any sense of the word, so in terms of finance I guess we understand each other pretty well.

After that we went to take a walk around some super ulu shopping centre and saw some performance. We also went to take a few photos with their various camera phones. The photos looked like they were better quality than my own digital camera and I couldn't be arsed to buy batteries for it. We also went to check out some exchange rates as Sequeena would be going on a trip to Thailand in a week's time! Yay for her. Hmm, you guys better send me the photos that we took arh! I'm hard up for them.

We then went to Orchard's HMV. I got acquainted with a few more card tricks and a coin trick! I'm sure they'll make good entertainment at any gathering or something! I decided to take Neoprint because there was nothing else I could think of to get Fukang for a present. They went along a bit reluctantly at first but once we started taking them, it was a lot of smiling for the camera and a mad rush to change poses! It was a hell lot of fun for me. Anyway, Sequeena had to leave early because she had to go to work. Fukang had the honour of cutting up the photos. We then went to Cine's RM to pass her the photos and just chill out over Fukang's drink.

The three of us seemed managed to talk about a lot of stuff, and that's just really cool. Haven't had a good chat in quite awhile. After that I left to meet Van but being fantastically nice friends, they both walked with me to PS! I actually went into PS to meet Van but both of us came out again and met them! Haha...

Me and Van went to watch Innocent Steps. But before that we had a lot of time catching up on stuff like Yu Ting whose birthday is round the corner and her mom's birthday and NUS. Everything. I don't know why but going out with her yesterday was special. We were shopping around at Spotlight and there were many inspiring things up for sale on that day, so it was pretty interesting as well. Ah, there's nothing better than going shopping and making your girlfriend laugh at all, while at the same time actually buying some really cool stuff. Damn, I would've liked to buy a big cushion into camp. But of course I can't.

We then went to Carrefour (f the spelling, it does look wrong), and grabbed a couple of drinks and a box of sausage croissant to munch on during the movie. And so enter Innocent Steps.



I'd like to first begin by saying: IT'S A FREAKING 5 STAR MOVIE!!!

I thought that it'd be like other soppy Korean movies. And mind you, Korean movies which are soppy are cliche, yet classy. To be honest I have never watched a Korean movie that has disappointed me yet. Passion for the dance and love between the leads made this a movie in a league of its own. Accomplishing dreams and the magic of the art of dance is the focus in this movie, and despite its lighthearted comic moments, this is a movie that is heavy in meaning.

Of course, the energetic dance sequence at the beginning of the movie as well as at the climax really gave me an insight to what dance was really about it. It was simply magnificent. I'm going to get my hands on the DVD once it comes out. I wonder why they (Hollywood) don't make movies like this any more. I don't want to give away a lot of the storyline, except that it's one of determination, deception and of course, how love reigns supreme at the end. Then there are also fireflies. I don't understand the obsession with fireflies because they seem to be the highlight of many Korean movies. Probably because they have mastered the art of putting fake fireflies into films very well.

With the superb acting from the very gorgeous pair of lovers played by the hunky Keon-hyeong Park and the cute Moon Geun Young, as well as the thumping rhythm of the music, this movie goes down as a classic.

Anyway, I have to thank Van for asking me to watch this movie, because I'd regret like hell if I missed it. We went to buy some yogurt and sat outside PS (because it was kind of cold) for a chat about tonnes of stuff. I love it when I can make her laugh, watch her smile and everything... Haha... feels great to be happy and make someone else happy too.

No comments: