Monday, July 17, 2006

Bangkok Day 03



First of all, I just had to share what the A&W breakfast looks like. I know its been a long time since any of us have seen it, but this is just a look at its magnificence. Where the hell did it go in SG? And the worst part of it is that I didn't eat there despite living so near that place! This sole picture of the very nearly extinct A&W food was taken by Daniel and Terence as they went for breakfast that morning! Sern Hong and I had ours in the hotel. It was the American Breakfast set which was almost the same as what is offered in Delifrance - only not as good! After that I went to the LAN shop to get in touch with the people back in SG. Got to talk to my sister, Jeffrey, Junior and Wee Lee. Also tried to get in touch with my buddy but he didn't reply!

While I was srufing the net, SH went to get his haircut. it was then that I checked soccernet.com only to find that Portugal lost 3-1 to Germany. I was distraught. Anyway, there was some kind of misunderstanding and I couldn't find SH at the time we agreed to meet. There were 3 barbers along that particular stretch of road. I walked up and down the street about 5 times till I was sweaty and tired and my patience wore thin. In the end I went back to the hotel, only to have him arrive less than 5 minutes after me! I went for a long shower as there was nothing good on TV.

When we all finished washing up, it was kind of late already, in fact too late to attend the church service that SH wanted to go to. In the end we went ahead with it anyway, but entered the wrong church. The church was rather grand by its standards and I went in for the experience, since I've never been to a church in my life, only to have seen the place numerous times on TV.

After that we walked about and then there was this guy who could speak Chinese and he introduced us to this Thai massage place called Happy. He helped us get a pretty good tuk-tuk price for travelling there. Upon reaching the place, we found out that they actually charged almost triple than that of other places! We sat there and were stunned. We didn't know how to reject them since we were there. After a long while they finally reduced the price to 700 baht (which was still daylight robbery since you can get it at other places for about 300). Daniel and Terence decided not to do it in the end, while I agreed to go for the experience with SH.



I had the female masseuse while SH had the guy (who had make-up on!). Anyway we took a room where we were beside each other. I felt vulnerable while she was massaging the inner thighs and she did brush against my bits but only in the most professional way. My favourite part of the whole thing was when there was a warm scented towel placed on my face and she proceeded to do a facial massage. During the whole thing, SH gave me a look that told me he wasn't really enjoying the whole thing.

After the massage, where the male masseuse asked blatantly for a tip, we went out and tried to find our way to MBK. He came out, gave up directions and conveniently smacked my bum as we said goodbye.



We walked and walked and became so bored that we asked someone to take a photo for us!



Anyway, we did more shopping at MBK and had lunch at the foodcourt. This time round we managed to get a couple of jerseys for people at home. I was unable to find M for Portugal or Cristiano Ronaldo so I ended up empty-handed. Other than that I can't really remember making other purchases other than an orange Billabong sleeveless.

When we returned to the hotel, we bumped into the people who were helping us make our beds. It was only after asking them that we realised that the bottled water was complimentary and we didn't have to drink the gross water from the 6l bottle!



After that we cam-whored a bit...



...okay, we cam-whored a lot in our new clothes before going for dinner as it was still early. There was no decent movie on television!



We took a tuk-tuk to Chinatown and the driver drove us around before. He had this permanently cheeky smile plastered on his face. We walked to this roadside stall selling seafood. It actually had an indoor dining area which we went to have our meal. Despite its looks, the food turned out to be very lousy. We managed to get more dishes at a total price equal to that of the previous day's Chinese restaurant but the half-fucked food didn't leave us satisfied. Down-hearted, we went to take a walk.



However, there was nothing much to see and I wasn't hungry enough to taste the desserts available at the roadside stalls. There was this one shop which we passed by that gave us pork floss to sample. We walked on while eating, only to realise after walking about 50m that it tasted fantastic and we just had to turn around to get it. It's with much regret that I realised that my selfish materialistic side made me scrimp on buying good food products there. I truky had no idea what to buy from the place and also I had no space left in my luggage. After walking the main road, we branched out to one of the smaller ones. Sern Hong bought 2 pairs of monthly contact lenses at half the price of a single pair that's sold in SG! Outrageous.



The smaller streets were dark and we couldn't even see the wares that the people laid out on the floor to sell. Then there were homeless people laying on the steps of already-closed shops. I wonder how the shops manage to stay open when hardly anyone walks past that place and there obviously seems to be more people wanting to sell stuff away than to buy them. After awhile we became tired and decided to make our way back to the hotel. But first we went to 7-11. There was this guy who seemed to bump into all of us seperately and smiled in a very friendly manner that did not arouse my suspicion till the rest told me about their experiences.

When we reached the hotel, I got the chance to watch Love Actually and I'm appalled that I didn't manage to watch it in the cinema. It was a brilliant, distinctly British film. I've come to realise that certain flavour satisfies what I want to see on screen! It has become one of my favourite movies ever!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: