Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Goal!

I scored one for Hall 12 today during the water polo match against Hall 16.

We were leading and so LaoNa gave me a chance. It was really crazy to be putting on the cap for the very first time, and when I had the chance to get into the water I felt really energetic despite aching muscles which protested during the warm up. Training for polo yesterday and cheerleading got them really worked up.

Seeing Daniel and Kelvin together with me in the front provided a sense of familiarity. I've been great friends with them ever since FOC and it only strengthened my resolve to do well. I can't remember exactly what happened, except that my contacts shifted position the moment I got to my position and it caused my left eye to be temporarily blinded and I became rather panicky. Apparently I made another shot which missed. And being the first time I've ever been in a match, I forgot that I was supposed to swim back to my half of the pool until the referee pointed it out to me!

It all happened really fast. I realise that in polo things happen without you realising and with so much splashing happening it's really tough to see what's going on! The ball got passed to me. I wasn't consciously aware of where the opponent was (a bad point) and I wanted to pass the ball. I freak out whenever I get the ball, be it while playing soccer or basketball because I don't know what to do with it. But the training helped as I made the choice to dribble the ball in closer before trying to pass it.

Dan and Kel were switching positions and I didn't know who to pass it to, so I held on to the ball. Then I heard shouts asking me to take a chance and shoot.

So I did.

When it went into the top left corner of the goal, I was ecstatic. For that moment I was really overwhelmed with emotion as words of encouragement and cheers filled the air. I was a tad disoriented after that and I could've played better but I learned a lot from being in the match. The feeling was all too new to me and I was playing mostly by reflex, although I felt I should've been thinking a bit more! I guess with a bit more experience I'll become more comfortable playing. I've almost always been a mere benchwarmer during competitions so I've more or less gotten used to the feeling. But the feeling of playing and contributing to the game was something I've never experienced, so I'm thankful for the chance.

I'm aware of my limitations such as the fact that my endurance in water sucks. In fact I was only able to take about 35% of yesterday's training where we were doing things like attacking and defending before I was as useful as a floating cork in water. Of course I did encounter a few self-esteem issues, as with almost everytime I go for training but I realise that by training harder I'll probably be able to make it for next year's IH!

Daniel has been the most encouraging, despite the fact that I listen half-heartedly at times. I do remember him telling me that I shouldn't be afriad to try anything because he and Kelvin were there with me. And then there's his tag on the tagboard. I know there were plenty of times where I seemed like a hopeless case but he never gave up on telling me not to give up. It's been a long time since we've had a heart to heart talk but he's still one of the people who knows me best.

Kelvin, for showing a lot of determination. He got to play the most out of the three of us and it's like almost impossible to enter a game and know how to play right away but he's been improving steadily and making his presence felt in the water.

The seniors... who have been very supportive and vocal with their encouragement. They taught us and trained us hard without being overbearing and earned our respect. They were patient in explaining and demostrating the game to us. It's kind of weird but all of them showcased leadership without ever needing to fight to be the sole voice of the team, which could only be possible of people with that level of chemistry and maturity.

The supporters were really great too, and I really appreciate them coming down especially Liqi, Yiping and Sandar! It's great to feel that you guys were proud of us and we're proud to have you too!

Haha... I know it sounds like a long thank you speech for one mere goal (when Ratta scored about 6 today!) but it's not everyday that one scores, especially not me. Regardless of whether I get to play again during this IH I feel great and finally proud and at least slightly more deserving of the jersey with "Water Polo" emblazoned on its sleeve.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: