Sunday, August 27, 2006

AHM 2006

I enjoyed the 21km today.

I know that sounds terribly wrong, especially because it's suppose to be some sort of torture, but after completing it under 2 hours and 15 mins (2hr14mins40secs to be exact) and getting an extra day off, I felt that overwhelming sense of achievement. I also did much better than last year. I guess it's because the pacing was much better and that I didn't push myself too hard, unnecessarily. Last year I committed the mistake of going too fast at the beginning and at the end I stopped every 5 metres to stretch my cramped-up muscles. That was pure torture.

Come to think of it, why I am one of the few weirdos to have done AHM for 2 consecutive years?

Nothing eventful happened except the fantastic view. And this guy who was running without his shirt and his Renoma undies sticking out. I was so damn keen on proving myself better than him (I have no idea why), but he sort of paced me for the entire first half, for which I am grateful. I lost him after the 14km mark though. He bloody managed to speed up and I just couldn't!

Oh, and there was this retarded moment that this man offered me the isotonic drink. I turned it down at first but he insisted and so I accepted. After that I didn't know how to open the damn drink. Hey, I was tired and feeling dumb! In the end I used my teeth to rip open the side and about half of it splashed over the front of my singlet, and there was this loud sound of the thing bursting open. Embarrassing. As if that wasn't enough, the same man came up to me and told me that I could actually tear a strip of it to reveal and opening from which I was supposed to drink from.

And that made me feel real stupid.

My face was extra flushed (from the running and then the embarrassment) as I replied that I was too shagged to think. He replied that it was okay.

I just ran as fast as I could to get away.

It was a great experience and I was real glad to finish better than expected. When I was finally able to see the clock at the finishing line, I was really euphoric. I was this close to hugging a stranger and crying. *exaggerates*

Yay for my second AHM medal!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: