Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Life Advice

I want to get down to blogging, but I just can't do it. It's that horrible laziness that's overwhelming me. I can't get my eyes to stay open, and now I'm left with about an hour before I've got to book in.


Anyway, www.stomp.com.sg's Star Blog is a good read. This week the topic is "What I'd Like My Cousin Know At 18". Of course, seeing that I'm already 2 years older than that, what is discussed might not be appplicable to me. However, life has issues. If you don't learn them earlier on, you'd have to learn them later anyway. May and Choy aren't very interesting as bloggers, nor are they fantastic to look at. (Gosh! I'm openly criticising people!) I am tired of them gluing themselves together at every photo-taking opportunity. KTM is bloody cynical - reading his stuff just gets in in a bad mood.

That leaves Xiaxue, Dawn, Ju-Len and Nick. They don't write fantastic stuff week after week but the basic standard is there. Xiaxue is still my favourite, although sometimes she can't be bothered to write about issues that don't interest her, she's outspoken and full of different perspectives. I'm sick of people offering her nasty criticism because she really doesn't deserve the flak.

Hey, it's like with this week's topic, everyone had something to say about not having sex before you're 18. Xiaxue then posts an additional topic on how sex is great and you should do it (safely) once you're legal. I don't agree with everything that's been said but you can't deny that 34 years of orgasms are much better than 20! I mean, it's just great pleasure that you should enjoy while you can. Don't regret that you can't even remember the feeling when you're 70 because you didn't get enough!

What the hell am I saying!?

On to the serious stuff. I feel that the advice given by various bloggers relate to me and there's that there's a lot to learn. Xiaxue's main point would be to venture out, take risks, be yourself and not be afraid to make mistakes and that they make you who you are. She does go off course at times but her examples are more than sufficient to show what she's trying to put across.

Dawn offered her perspective as well as the lyrics of Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Lurhman. It's undoubtedly the best (and perfect) set of advice to ever been put into song. For that... she scores. It's like quoting the most relevant piece of work - even though it's not yours, but it answers the question like a gem.

I think Nick's best piece of advice is "If you think other people care, they really don't.". I can't put it better in words (he's really good), so to quote him, "Spend more time getting to know yourself and becoming the person you want to be, rather than worrying about the person you think others want you to be, and you'll end up a lot wiser, and happier, individual." The other reason that I like reading what he writes is that he sounds like a reasonable, sound, role-model-ish adult. It's a point of view that's sorely lacking in my life.

The one thing that Ju-Len mentioned that really got to me was making the most of what all of us have (in Baz's song, it's the greatest instrument you'll ever have) - our body. Enjoy eating, because "At 18, food somehow evaporates into nothing when it reaches your stomach."! And also what I think is pretty hilarious as he tries to bring home the fact that you should take up all the physical challenge that your body can take at a young age - "Your reflexes are sharp. Please, don't squander that. Taking up anything after age 30 is a bitch on your body. This is why old(er) people play golf."

Oops! Got to book in. Think I'll reflect and write more on this when I have the time! I'm booking out tomorrow! Muahaha!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: