Monday, August 21, 2006

So Unwell

It's difficult to be in a good mood when you're feeling unwell and hungry. I'm not lying on the floor, motionless as of yet, just a small headache with a bit of a fever, a permanently blocked nose and a terrible throat that hurts when I swallow my saliva. Did I mention I was hungry? Yeah, I think I did. There' nothing to eat at home and I can't be arsed to walk all the way downstairs to buy anything. Oh, and I haven't actually refilled my wallet with cash. Who knew that saving money could be this difficult? I'll most probably be unable to save a hundred this bucks. Bah.

I'm just blogging for the sake of it.

I was watching the National Day Rally yesterday and I must say the PM is a very convincing speaker. It must've taken quite awhile to draft the script of such a long speech, as well as quoting real-life examples to support his points. I am impressed by his attempts to make what he's saying relevant to the younger generation. He knows what he's talking about, his information is accurate and he really gave me a good idea of where Singapore is headed in the future. Although I fell asleep before it ended, I found his presentation entertaining and funny at the right places. I suppose this is part of growing up - knowing about politics. Usually I'll be more up-to-date with the latest white dress Britney wore into the public, the fact that Jennifer Anniston is not engaged or that Angelina Jolie gave birth to her kid in Africa. That isn't to say that coming to terms with real-life issues isn't difficult. He spoke of a few things that were hard to swallow, although we've always known it was there all along - the unrest in the Middle East as well as global terrorism. Transport prices are rising, and as it is, we're all feeling the impact of such a move. I was made to realise the implications that would arise if oil prices doubled, or if Singapore had home-grown terrorists. These are the things that I'd normally take for granted, but now I've come to face up to them, I feel I have to take a stand. Also, saving money is important because I don't know what will happen in the future, and it might be just what I need to scrape through and cover my expenses.

There goes my "Live for the moment!".

All the issues that were mentioned were rather close to my heart. New media for example, is a crazy thing. How is traditional media going to maintain their hold having the majority of eyeballs on them? Faced with such strong compeition and the fact that audiences now have the power to choose what they want to see, will TV, radio and newspapers be relevant in the future? I must say that since I'm going into the School of Comm and Info next year, it has really got me thinking about my choice. It is, of course, something that I've always wanted. On the other hand, I've grown up and learnt that life's not always about doing what you want (to do), but what you need to do. Sometimes I feel that I can't be selfish and do what I enjoy and neglect responsibility.

I don't know where I'm headed.

Ah, I think I know where that headache's coming from.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

actually, what you're espousing for your age is coming along nicely.

as in the 'i want to' and 'i have to do what is necessary' part.

im in the position to say that many, even after going thru uni, don't get round to that view.

kh