Thursday, August 10, 2006

Tokyo Drift

Alright. I was dying to get out of the house so luckily, Mak and I went to Causeway Point to catch a movie. We've wanted to watch it ever since the trailer showed on our cinemas, probably a couple of months ago. We were highly anticipating it, but those who've watched it said that it was sucky. However, we're sticking to our bets that the movie will turn out watchable.

We went to Jacks' Place to eat. I've been haunting people to go eat there with me since May. However, either I'm too broke to go there, or we never go at the right time. It's quite affordable during lunch, with the cheapest main course going at 7.90. We'd probably spend much less if we just ate that and not ordered drinks! However, there's this Dorey Fillet set that was going for $10.90, and after plusing things here and there, it amounted to almost $14 per person.

The food was fantastic. It's a pity that I didn't have my camera with me. It was worth every cent. In fact, I enjoyed it a little more than other posh restaurants that I went to. I like the place. And the potato soup was great too. However while waiting for the main course to arrive, time crept up on us we had only 15 minutes to the start of the movie when we could finally get our hands on it! There was an insane rush to gobble up everything on the plate (while I still tried to take my time to enjoy the food afterall, it's expensive!) before paying the bill and rushing to the toilet, and finally taking our seats in the cinema!


I enjoyed the show a lot. The cast was very good. However, the only familiar face to me was Bow Wow, formerly known as Lil' Bow Wow. He's a rapper whom I've not heard any song from, but am familiar with. The fact-paced action on the screen was matched by a stellar soundtrack. It brought out the inner gangsta in me, and made me realise that I do like that kind of music. When it's being played at the right time that is. I find it just a little pussified that some people can't handle all the rapping and heavy bass. I'm not a huge fan, but I don't run away from it!


It's a pop movie. The kind of movie that means everything when you're watching it at the moment, but isn't exactly going to change your life. I love the scenes of Japan, and all the cool cars. The storyline manages to capture a bit of cultural exchange between the east and the west, as well as inject meaning to the term Gaijin. It means outsider and is usually meant as a rather degradatory term for Westerners. However its usage is explored in a broader sense - do you know who you really are and what you want from life?

If you don't you'd probably remain a stranger, an outsider to yourself.

In addition to having a bit of Zen-like moments, it is all action accented by excellent sound effects of screeching tyres and the thundering revving of engines. It's really my kind of movie in a way - pretty pictures (of the hills, Tokyo, night life) combined with good music. The lead character is played by Lucas Black, while the lead actress of the show is Nathalie Kelley.


This is the obligatory hot actors/actress picture. There isn't one that'd do her justice. I like her look, and she reminds me of Kristin Kreuk who plays Lana Lang in Smallville. The other Asian actors who deserve a shoutout are Sung Kang, Brian Tee and Leonardo Nam, pushing the envelope and doing Asians proud in this Hollywood film.

After the movie, we were temporarily deaf because of how loud it was.

Shopped around at Music Junction, World of Sports (I'm considering getting weights) and the Pasar Malam before paying for my bills on S.A.M. (which resulted in a queue because of how inexperienced I was with the machine) before heading home.

Booking in lo!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: