Monday, October 30, 2006

Out of My Elitist Face

If those words sound unfamiliar to you, or you've yet to read about David Wee and Wee Shu Min, you can do so here.

And apparently the entire blogosphere is up in arms over what she said. It was Jie Yu who first alerted me to what was happening, followed by my mom who showed me a newspaper article that Ms Wee should be saying sorry. I'm going to give my two cents' worth. If you're hoping that it's going to be nice, click the button on top-right now.

I agree with what Shu Min has said. So maybe I'm elitist. I disagree with her tone, her attitude and her approach towards this issue. However I believe what she says to be correct. She points out that Singapore is a meritocratic society, which we are. It's true, also, that almost anyone can make a living in Singapore if they want to. If we're all supporting the yellow ribbon project, what makes Derek think he'll be unable to feed himself and a family by taking on a lesser-paid job if and when he's retrenched from his beloved MNC? Okay, so Derek has his point - it's tough being in Singapore and the stress is overwhelming; the future's wrought with uncertainty and instead, the man wants a place where people "do their best and not having to fear whether they will still wake up employed tomorrow". Forgive me for saying this but... what the fuck? I'm such an idealist yet I don't believe that without fear and the drive that comes with it, people'd do their damn best in their jobs regardless of what happens around them. That's the reason why we have such a competitive economy - to be the best.

And I hate it when people use threats. Derek's one of those people. "Many of my peers, bright and well educated have packed up and left. It’s what MM Goh called “quitters”. It’s sad but true, Singapore no longer is a place where one can hope to work hard their lives and retire graciously." The grass is always greener on the other side. I don't believe that Derek hasn't enjoyed a moment of his life being in Singapore, given the things that we have like clealiness and security. He also feels that staying in Singapore after turning 40 is a "gamble". And so moving off to a foreign country isn't?

The people who are slamming Shu Min are only using her as a punching bag. If there're so many people who disagree with what she said, and who believe that her father shares the same views and brought her up as such, why did they vote for this government when they have so much displeasure against them? Obviously because no one can do the job better. It does take an elitist to believe and take the country where it is - the best in what it can be. It's a vision that was moulded to life by hard work, and not a whole load of whining. Derek sounds very whiny for a 35 year-old.

"Is dear derek starving? has dear derek been denied an education? has dear derek been forced into child prostitution? has dear derek had his clan massacred by the government?" He has not. Yet he's feels so strongly that the government isn't doing the right things, when compared to people in other countries who suffer from poverty (which Derek isn't). I suppose Derek thinks that it's easy to maintain that? I know - a country has to progress. However I believe that the people up there are trying their best to make it happen. It's easy to sit in front of the computer and whine about what the government isn't doing, when they're scrambling to maintain peace within the region, build connections and make deals with other countries and doing their part to get rid of the haze.

Last of all, but definitely not least, my Dad's a taxi driver. He works the night shift. He has 4 kids. His health isn't exactly in the most fantastic state. He complains, and I think he has more right to do so than some graduate working in an MNC. I just think if anyone should be slammed - it's Derek. Because he is, and I quote Shu Min, "one of those who would prefer to be unemployed and wax lyrical about how his myriad talents are being abandoned for the foreigner's, instead of earning a decent, stable living as a sales assistant. it's not even about being a road sweeper. these !!^#bags don't want anything without "manager" and a name card.".

When you break it up, the girl actually makes a lot of sense. I don't have an MP for a Dad. I think what she said was reasonable. Can you accept it?

PS: Oh yeah, and to those retards who say that it's alright for Derek to have poor grammar because he's just trying to get his point across, screw you. He was trying to get it published in The Straits Times dammit.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: