Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Smell of ORD

Yes, the smell of ORD is sweet. After one year and ten months, despite it being a shortened term, it feels like there's freedom once more.

I went back today to dekit and to get the clearance form signed. Dekitting (where you return all your stores) took half the morning. I was almost drenched in sweat as I struggled with the field pack, its contents, and the other silly stuff that I had to return. Not forgetting my buddy's as he sweat it out in the practical lab today. After that it was almost like being in the Amazing Race as Theodore, Guo Fei and I went to collect the relevant signatures on our clearance form. The worse part was walking a couple of kilometres to this other place for 2 signatures, under the blast of the noon sun. At the end of it all, I was dripping.

Sern Hong told me (which I think he wouldn't have if I hadn't bumped into him) that he wasn't able to make it this Friday. So much for getting myself hyped to organising the "dinner".

As I lugged the duffel bag which contained my FBO, I couldn't help but think of the only other times I dragged it around - my first day in BMT, the day I left Tekong and the day I was posted to Seletar Camp. I've heard a lot of people tell me that I'll miss being in the army. I'm not sure to what extent I'll be feeling that, but I do miss my friends, and my bed (which, on the contrary with everybody else, is more comfortable than the one that I sleep on at home). I'm glad to leave the regimentation behind. I think the one thing that I detest most is marching.

6 more days to ORD. I can smell it already. I'll be spending one last night in camp (tomorrow), before trumpeting the fact to anyone who'd hear that the 2nd of November would be my last working day in camp. Friday's when we'll be having the unit anniversary at Sentosa, so I'm looking forward to a beach volleyball match or two. I'll say my goodbyes to this batch of sergents, whom I have the most respect for.

Yes. The day which I've been whispering secretly to myself about for the past 22 months has arrived. And I relish the thought of getting my pink IC back.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: