Saturday, January 21, 2006

Jay Fever

I was going through the motions of my lecture yesterday and during a break, a received a mere message from Ming Boon, announcing the arrival of Huo Yuan Chia:

Yo! Jay's new ep with the new weird song.. Plus nov's chopin's 12 mvs is released today!

I tried my best to contain my curiousity and did not look for it when I was at Causeway Point yesterday.

However, I went to TS today and they had 2 TVs showing his MVs. Till this very day, he perhaps is the only Chinese artist to release a DVD for every CD, since Fantasy. And my first Jay purhase was the VCD for Fantasy. Anyway, instinct took over self-control and I whipped out my POSB card and paid for the DVD.



And I rushed home to watch it while having lunch. I have only one word for it:

Brilliant.

It was his best set of videos since Fantasy, and I think that he has reached another peak! It is unbelieavbly good. I must also say that Huo Yuan Chia is most impressive! It's the leading song off the soundtrack for Jet Li's movie, Fearless which opens on the 26th of January! My hair stood on their ends when I heard the song! There hasn't been a Shuang-Jie-Gun-ish song on November's Chopin and so this track more than made up for it. As for those who are wondering what the other song in the EP is, it is none other than a cover version of a song done by Jordan Chan!

This set of videos feature things that have become iconic in Jay's videos, like the Pepsi signs and Panasonic handphones! Such blatant product placing! Other than that, he goes through a lot of different image changes to portray all the different kinds of songs that are on his album. I cannot put a finger to which video I liked best, because all of them are special in their own way. The unique Jay style is still retained in most of the videos but if you compare them to his earlier works (including the songs themselves), then you'd notice that he has actually evolved a lot. Those who think that every album he releases is just a carbon copy of his previous stuff should go dig their ears!

In addition to all of that, there is a mere 23 minute video which is a collage of his concert in Hong Kong. Watching that really got me on a high! It was so amazing that mere words cannot describe it. It consisted of the most exciting moments in the concert and I was in awe (with jaws on the floor) as he played a piano duet of Flight of the Bumble Bee and the other very famous classical piece whose name I can't recall! His stage presence is better than ever too.

Did I mention that there was dancing in Hua Yuan Chia as well?

He has also returned to his fit-self (which was around the Ba Du Kong Jian era). His image of a very masculine musician is something I idolise. Oh yeah. Coolness. And his fashion sense was top class in the latest string of videos too! *copies*

Joking.

Addictive. I could watch the DVD over and over again.

No comments: